SmarterSelect offers a print function in the Reports and Applicants screens that will create a printable version of the application into individual PDF files. Sometimes, however, a provider has a template to which they would like to import application information or would just like to print essays or typed letters into a Word file. To do this, you can create a mail merge in Word.
- Export your report (table view) or application data and save the Excel file to your desktop.
- Open a new document in Word.
- Start by creating a template in Word with headings where you want pieces of application information to be placed.
- Go to "Mailings", click "Start Mail Merge", and select "Step-by-Step Mail Merge Wizard".
- Choose "Letters" and click Next.
- Choose "Use current document" and click Next.
- Choose "Use existing list" and click "Browse".
- Select your export.
- Click OK until it takes you back to the mail merge wizard.
- Click Next.
- Place your cursor in the first space in the document template where you want to import application data.
- Click "More items".
- Select the question that you want to insert.
- Click "OK".
- Repeat steps 11 through 14 until you have matched up each heading with a question from the application export.
- Click Next.
You can either print or preview each essay by using the arrows in the menu ribbon.