STEP 1: Prepare and set up your programs
Before you begin setting up Program Matching:
- Know your requirements. Consider all of the hard requirements for your various awards/funds. Any "soft" requirements, or preferences, should not be included in the Matching settings.
- Format questions for the questionnaire. Ask the right questions in your Common program application. If you will be vetting applicants based on their graduating high school, create a multiple choice question asking for the graduating high school name and provide a list of options.
- Use the right question types. Multiple Choice, Number, Date, State, and Country questions are the only question types that can/should be used in a Matching questionnaire.
STEP 2: Add questions to the Matching questionnaire
In your common program, click on Matching in the left-hand navigation menu.
Use the Application Tree on the right to find the questions you want to use in your questionnaire. Using your mouse, drag and drop the questions from the Tree into the Common Application Questions area (grey).
(click image to enlarge)
STEP 3: Set the criteria for each unique program
Next set up Unique Programs for the Program Matching. You'll do this from the Matching page within the unique program.
- Add a short description of the program. This will be a quick blurb seen initially by the applicants (they will always be able to see the detailed description and requirements).
- For every program requirement for which there is a question on this page, add the criteria. For example, if your program is only for graduates of certain high schools, select those required high schools.
- If there are questions in the list that do not apply to any of the program requirement, leave them blank. This will make the Program Matching feature disregard the answer to that particular question when it comes to matching to this specific program.
- When complete, click "Save."
To test your Matching setup, right-click the Matching Link and choose to open the link in a private window. You'll be able to go through the process while logged out of SmarterSelect to give yourself a true end-user experience of the Matching feature.